Monday 30 June 2008

Israel's new wave of refugees

"I experienced a lot of torture, bad experiences in my country," recalls Gabriel, a young but weathered representative of Tel Aviv's Eritrean community. "After my education they put me in the prison and sent me to the army. They did it to humiliate and degrade me. There was a protest from the university students and because of that they take revenge and put us all in prison and then send us to the army to harm us."

Last Friday two refugees were shot dead by Egyptian border police while attempting to cross into Israel. The experiences of African refugees seeking asylum in Israel is an oft-neglected story in the Western media.

I recently interviewed African refugees in Tel Aviv, Israel, on their experiences and aspirations. You can read the story here.

No comments: