Tuesday 3 June 2008

Interviews with Palestinian fighters

When I arranged to meet Palestinian fighters I expected to meet larger than life characters, fearsome men not unlike the Special Forces of Israeli folklore with a cavalier attitude to life and death. Instead I found broken men trying to piece their lives back together. I spoke to fighters from the PLO's Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, Islamic Jihad's Al Quds Brigades and the Abu Ali Mustafa Brigades of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. All were in their 20s, all had been abused in an Israeli jail, and all were seeking qualifications or employment.

Over the past two weeks I've been interviewing Palestinian fighters from a range of militant groups. My first article based on these interviews was published in NewMatilda.com today. You can read it here.

No comments: